If you’re thinking “What even is a probiotic?”, the answer is already inside of you (LITERALLY)! Probiotics keep your gut healthy and promote a healthy digestive system. Adding more of these to your body allows for food to be digested properly and helps destress your digestive system.
The first type of probiotic I ever tried was greek yogurt! Whenever I had a stomach ache or felt heavy after eating a large meal I had a little greek yogurt, which did the trick when I was younger.
The next type of probiotic I discovered was Kefir! Kefir is a yogurt type drink that contains live probiotics and comes in a variety of yummy flavors! I really enjoy this type of probiotic to throw into a smoothie!
Kombucha is another type of probiotic that has become popular! Whole Foods carries a variety of flavors and even has some chia seed kombucha drinks. I love kombucha and find it super refreshing, it has an apple cider vinegar taste that’s bitter and sweet at the same time.
Lately, I’ve been taking a probiotic pill every morning from Whole Foods because of my busy schedule! Make sure the product is refrigerated or freeze dried when you buy these types of probiotic pills. Live probiotics need cold environments to survive in order for them to work their magic!
The reason I take a probiotic everyday is due to the fact that they support digestive health and therefore immune system! I don’t feel as sluggish as a consequence of the energy it takes to digest my food, since the probiotics are helping maintain my digestion’s efficiency.
Let me know about your favorite types of probiotics or supplements in the comments section below! Thanks for reading!
One of my favorite parts of my daily routine is diffusing essential oils. At first, I was so confused about how they actually work and just imagined them being a replacement for candles. But, in my opinion, aromatherapy is so real and relaxes/motivates/de-stresses me! Here are a few of my favorites I’ve been using:
- Lemon– Really awesome pick-me-up when I’m feeling tired or need more energy! I also love mixing this with Rosemary, isopropyl alcohol, and water for a bathroom spray!
- Rosemary– Rosemary is very uplifting and nice whenever I’m feeling upset or have anxiety. I find it very calming and relaxing.
- Clary Sage- I bought this one thinking it would have similar magical powers to burning sage, jokes! But it really does help at the end of the day with calming properties and smells fantastic mixed with Lavender!
- Lavender– The classic OG essential oil! Lavender is soo soothing and I honestly cannot go a day without using this one! I even bought Lavender essential oil body oil for putting on after a shower!
- Rose– Really great for self-confidence and overall a strong essential oil. I usually mix this one with Ylang Ylang or Lavender because on it’s own Rose has a strong fragrance.
- Clean the Air Blend- I purchased this blend from Whole Foods! I typically use it when I’m starting to get sick or have a sore throat. I honestly think this blend has kicked so many of my colds and I especially love diffusing this one after a warm shower.
- Naturally Loveable Blend– SUCH a beautiful blend I, again, purchased at Whole Foods! Whenever I want to have some me time, I diffuse this blend and the whole room smells so comforting and citrusy!
- Ylang Ylang– Love this essential oil before bed mixed with Rose or Lavender! My sister first told me about this blend and we couldn’t stop laughing about the name! The smell is very strong, like Rose, but mixed with another essential oil it’ll send you off into a peaceful night’s sleep!
Some of these blends I purchased at Whole Foods because I like how you can smell the essential oils before purchasing. A great place to buy essential oils on a budget is TJ Maxx or Marshall’s! Just make sure the label says it’s Therapeutic Grade.
Photo: Monik Marcus
I’m obsessed with coffee. I know it’s bad to be addicted to caffeine, but I can’t help it if I’m the walking dead without a cup every morning. Through reading about different types of “healthier” coffee choices, I came up with my own little concoction!
Cinnamon has properties to lower blood pressure, and tastes great as well! I love sprinkling a little cinnamon in my morning cup of coffee because it helps me chill out and get ready for the day ahead.
Turmeric has properties to help with inflammation! If you have any kind of soreness or inflammation, turmeric might just be the botanical helper you need.
Be aware that I am not a doctor and these two ingredients are not cure-all’s, however I do feel as though they spice up my morning coffee! I encourage you to do your own research and try out different types of morning potions to see what works for your body.
I wanted to share this recipe from The Moon Juice Cookbook because of how amazing and simple it is! I’m an avid coconut milk or almond milk drinker, and finding this super simple recipe for cashew milk was a BLESSING!
You can use almonds, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, or cashews (or even a blend of a couple different ones)!
Nut Milk Recipe
1. Fill a bowl with water and soak nuts in it overnight, in your fridge
2. Drain the liquid from the nuts and then place the nuts in your blender with fresh water
3. Blend for a couple of seconds, be sure not to overblend because you’ll have little pieces of nuts in your milk
4. Strain the mixture with either a cheesecloth, or I used a french press!
5. ENJOY! It’ll last in the fridge for up to 4 days!
I also love LIVE FOR the blueprint cold pressed juice cashew milk so I put some other ingredients into my cashew milk. I put a couple dashes of cinnamon, a date, agave, and vanilla extract! SO DELICIOUS!
Let me know what you think of this recipe or what other types of nut milk blends you’ve tried!